Raiders training camp notebook (7/28/08)
Training Camp Notes (7/28/08)
- Todd Watkins once again made another amazing leaping catch. This time, it was between two defenders who were attempting to defend the play. It was a clean grab that left the defensive backs pondering as to how he came down with the ball.
- JaMarcus Russell is showing his comfortability to calling audibles. The change of play one instance was the correct read; unfortunately the receiver dropped the pass.
- Tight end Zach Miller snatched a bullet pass off his outside shoulder with Michael Huff providing blanket coverage.
- Defensive back Rashad Baker recorded an interception.
- Kirk Morrison converged on receiver Drew Carter on one play, forcing an incompletion. In the process, the defensive captain was able to deliver a little “love tap” to the first year Raider, letting him know that the defense is ready for whatever is thrown their way.
- The offensive line dramatically improved on the penalties (false starts), since their poor display over the first few days of camp. The line wasn’t up to standards, but it did improved.
- Tight end Darrell Strong made a terrific one handed lunging grab on a low toss, with safety Hiram Eugene draped all over his back.
- Fred Wakefield was working out at right guard and even spent time with the first team. Wakefield did an alright job considering he played a basic zone blocking scheme at Illinois. Wakefield is has been very versatile.
- Tommy Kelly was shaken up a bit on one play, as he immediately hit the ground and took his time standing up. Several defenders came over to help him up. Kelly would be okay as he shook it off and got right back into the fray on the next play.
- Nnamdi Asomugha was away from practice to attend a funeral.
- Offensive tackle Mark Wilson is done for the year. He sustained a broken leg and a sprained ankle.
- Grant Irons did not participate in drills.
- Greg Wesley did not participate. His back kept him out of action.
- Kwame Harris is alright health-wise.